Return To Blog

Terms You Need to Know Before Buying Window Treatments in Denver

August 2, 2017

As you shop for window treatments in Denver, you may be introduced to a number of new terms that you’ve never heard before. It can be difficult to find what you’re looking for if you don’t know the industry lingo that you should be using. To make it easier, familiarize yourself with these common terms before you go shopping for window treatments:

Curtains vs. Drapes

The terms “curtains” and “drapes” are often used interchangeably, but they refer to two different types of window treatments. Both curtains and drapes are fabric panels that hang from rods, however, curtains are made out of unlined fabric and drapes are made with lined fabric. This means that drapes will block out more light than curtains because they are thicker. What are the differences between curtains, drapes, shades, and blinds?


Panel is the term used to describe a single curtain or drapery. In order to cover a window, you will need a pair of panels so you can have one curtain or drape on either side.


When you hear the word “drape,” you could be talking about draperies, which are a type of window treatment, or the way that a fabric hangs on the window.


Tiebacks hold curtains and drapes at each side of the window so light can enter the room. The term tieback typically refers to fabric bands or cords that are used to hold the window treatment in place. Some customers prefer using holdbacks, which are metal hooks that serve the same purpose as tiebacks.


Some homeowners do not want to be able to see the hardware used to keep the curtains in place. To conceal this hardware, customers have the option of installing a cornice. A cornice is a decorative piece that is placed above the window to cover all of the hardware. It is typically upholstered with the same fabric used to create the curtains or drapes so it complements the window treatment.

Shades vs. Blinds

Many people often don’t know that shades and blinds are two different types of window treatments. Both shades and blinds lift up and down to control the amount of light that enters the room. However, shades are made out of soft fabrics that are attached to a rod at the top of the window, while blinds are typically made out of wood, faux wood, aluminum, or vinyl.

Café Curtains

Often found in the kitchen, café curtains are short window treatments that only cover the lower half of the window. This style is designed to provide some privacy while still allowing light to flood the room.

Now that you know how to speak the language, it’s time to find the perfect window treatments for your home. Learn more about your options by contacting the experts at Design Craft! Design Craft is a family-owned business in the greater Denver area. We specialize in various flooring and window treatments, and pride ourselves on our customer service and attention to detail. Contact us today for an estimate by calling 303-683-7200